Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Review: The Demon Crown

The Demon Crown The Demon Crown by James Rollins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, thank you to William Morrow imprint and the Harper Collins publishing company for sending me a physical ARC of the newest in one of my absolute favorite series of all time. They paid me nothing, and all I had to do was read it and review it honestly.

Sigma Force novels are always action-packed roller coaster rides of thrills and emotions. Rollins always seem to find a way to up the game to huge stakes, but not seem so utterly ridiculous that the situation becomes unbelievable. Not to say there aren't some unbelievable moments in some of these books, but that's a genre-thing. Rollins, who also is a trained veterinarian, has a love and respect for science and technology, which is evident in his books. Sure, the theories he posits might be out there or a stretch on the imagination, but he's always sparked by something real he's read about, and researched thoroughly. His blend of history, technology, science, and action really works for me.

The Demon Crown was definitely one of the stronger entries in the series. The villain was a little bit of a Bond villain, but it worked for the story, since The Guild and its agents have played a pivotal role in the course of the series, driving much of the action for the beginning of the series and helping facilitate some key character growth in many of the major players on both sides of the good-evil spectrum. Many fan favorites are in danger in this one, thanks to the threat -- which is absolutely terrifying. The Ezekiel Boone-esque menace of global-balance-upsetting proportions is both riveting to read (you won't want to look away!) and downright scary.

I can't say much more without spoiling stuff, but if you haven't picked up Sigma Force, you should. It's a fun ride, with lots of ups and downs and action along the way. I wouldn't recommend reading this without reading the rest of the series, unless you don't mind stuff being spoiled, because quite a few things in this one are based off the events of the other books -- and you won't appreciate the characters and their plotlines and growth stories here without that history.

But I can 100% recommend the series overall. Pick up book one (and push through if you have to, it's the slowest in the series, in my opinion) and binge them. DO IT.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment